Saturday, May 28, 2011

Movie Review: Deathwatch (2002)

I often get asked what sort of source material one turns to for inspiration for Tannhauser scenarios, characters, or stories, and the truth is often I’m not sure. Tannhauser doesn’t have a comic book like Dust, no novels like Warhammer, and no TV shows like a Game of Thrones. So, where does one turn, well you have to take it where you can get it, and I recently had the pleasure to find a very Tannhauser-esque movie. This will be my first movie review, so don’t be to hard on me.

2vsg46a

Deathwatch was released in 2002, but I only recently saw it. I have to say it was overall a very Tannhauser feeling film. It takes place during World War One and focuses on a British squad trapped behind enemy lines in a German trench, and their not sure how they got there.

5037-44487

The film is well acted and stars a variety of good UK actors. I have to say Andy Serkis is the stand out and his portrayal of a soldier driven mad by the war, is unnerving and yet you can’t turn away.

0037

It a very good movie, but in some places the low budget shows, but this is far outweighed by the feeling of being in a WW1 trench, caked with mud and blood. In fact if you cut out all of the supernatural element, it would feel like a documentary on the trials of WW1 and what it’s like to be in the trenches, to go over the top, and be shelled at night.

I defiantly recommend seeing it, and luckily it’s available from Netflix, Hulu, and you can watch it here on the IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi61212441/. Because of it’s (R) rating you will need an IMDB login to watch it.

If you give it a look, be sure to comment here.